Happy Tuesday everyone!
Like every month (although pretty late this time I have to say!), I’m participating in the Fantastic Bake Along hosted by Tracy @itsatsweetday. This time, we are having a theme Bake Along, and it’s super exciting! Our theme was apples, and being French, I decided to go with something very french indeed! Tarte Tatin it was!
Tarte Tatin is an upside down pie, with the apples baking underneath the pastry. Crazy? Maybe but it’s delicious!
I made my own shortcrust as well, so I’ll give you the recipe for both.
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry: 100g sugar, 200g butter, 370g flour, 1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or extract
- Combine all the ingredients, making sure that the butter is softened when you start.
- Knead the dough until supple, and refrigerate for 30min to 1h.
That’s it! How easy was that?
Tarte Tatin: 1 shortcrust pastry, 5 apples (I used pink ladies but I reckon green apples would work well too), 150g sugar, 100g butter, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peal and cut the apples in quarters.
- Mix the butter, sugar and water in a pot over medium heat and let caramelise.
- When the caramel is formed, add the apples and the cinnamon and make sure to completely coat the apples in caramel. Be very careful not to overcook the apples, you still want them to be firm at that point.
- Transfer the caramelised apples to a tin or a cake mould. I used a silicone mould, and it seemed to do the trick.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Very important! Let your apples rest in the tin for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the pastry and place it on top of your apples in the tin. Make sure to slide the pastry on the sides of the tin, all the way to the bottom of your tin.
- Bake for 20 min or until the pastry is slightly golden.
- Let cool down for 10-20 min, then invert your pie on a plate and serve warm
Voila! You have a Tarte Tatin!
This was honestly was easier than I anticipated, and I just had a bite and it’s so delicious!
If you are interested in participating, contact Tracy and you can also follow my Pinterest board where I will be adding all the recipes for the Bake Along.
Please also check out the other amazing bakers/cooks normally participating in the Fantastic BAL
- Tami @ TangleWoodKnots
- Tracy @ ItsaTSweetDay
- Kathy @ SewingEtc
- Brenna @ Crochet539
- Kate @ LifeTeaAndEverything
- Tina @ KristabellasHodgepodge
- Lucia @ CrochetKnitAndMore
- Connie @Connie’s Creations
- AJ @A Petite Slice of Life
- Rebecca @Twinklehook
- Abbey @Three Cats and a Girl