I’m a bit late this week reporting my latest progress in spinning but it’s okay because I don’t have class this week (very sadly 😢). I can see I have made a lot of progress which is very encouraging. I think I’ve actually got the hang of drafting the fibre into the wheel and I can spin a pretty even 2 ply aran weight, which is awesome!
I have made two new skeins, one of alpaca (it was just so soft!!) and one using a wool top. I really liked the alpaca as it wasn’t as greasy as the sheep wool but it was very very dusty and still needed thorough washing. The wool top was a bit harder to spin (as it needed a lot of twist) but it was very clean and only required to be set in hot water post spinning.
I’m really loving that we get to try all those fibres with this class, it’s been so nice to see the differences with thickness and length of the fibre, greasiness, and processing. I’ve also been busy this week using my hand spun wool in my first ever project, a beanie for hubby. I’ve used my black Corriedale wool and got to work. I didn’t use a particular pattern but I’m very happy with the results and it fits hubby well so it’s great!
I cannot wait for the next lesson next week, when we get to use bats (which are mixed fibres) and even to make our own! I’m very excited about that last class and I really hope I get lots done before I have to give back the wheel. I’m trying to save up to get my own hopefully in September for my birthday but we shall see (I might give in before that 😅).
Have a lovely weekend!